Suroy- suroy: Bantayan Island, Cebu (Holy Week Vacation)

Lawis, Madredejos, Bantayan Island
B A N T A Y A N  I S L A N D

It has been over five months ever since the typhoon Haiyan destroyed some tourist spots in the northern part of Cebu like in the Bantayan Island. It is an extension of the Daan Bantayan right at the tip of Cebu. To get to Bantayan Island, one must take a bus trip to Hagnaya and a ride on a fast craft or a barge. From the city to Hagnaya takes 3 hours so you might as well want to prepare snacks to munch along the way. More information about Bantayan Island here.
Like I've said, It's been five long months and I have watched how other countries try to help us by donating millions of money in the the television but where's the money now? After seeing families still making use of tents in Bantayan, I was saddened but blown away by the beaches. I mean, yes they look a little devastated but their beaches are just jaw-dropping!! If only I could, I'd seriously just wanted to jump off from where I was standing.

Madredejos is one town away from Sta. Fe where the pier is located. Along the way, we saw a lot of poultries, farms but less sign of the beach. I was disappointed when I found out that we're 30 minutes away from the famous beaches but stunned when I saw WATER and shouted "Yes! Duol ra diay gihapon!"
Takobo or Clams
Wasay- wasay
Bali- ad

Bantayan Island is famous not only for its beaches but also because of its bountiful waters. These seafoods shown in the pictures are only few of the many riches of the island. Takobo or clams are common and can be found in almost all of the markets in Cebu but costs two(2) or three(3) times compared here. This was ordered and served fresh! I forgot how they called the dish but it looked like some sort of Kinilaw or raw because they did not cook it. They just simply added flavourings and voila! Wasay- wasay as they say can only be found in Bantayan Island. It pretty much resembles a Talaba or an oyster but is bigger in size. The Bali- ad is believed to produce pearls like clams and that is why when it is cooked by steaming, a bantay or guard usually in a form of a small lobster can be found.
Did I mention we went to Bantayan Island on a Holy Week? Usually, meat is prohibited during this season but Bantayan Island is an exemption to that. Bantayanons said that their exemption came all the way from Rome. Their only way of living is fishing and during the holy week fishing is forbidden so what will they eat now if they can't go fishing? MEAT and so that is why they are now exempted from our common practice. 
Tourists visit the island during the holy week so they can eat meat and lucky for us, we get to cook our own Lechon! Sometimes, tourists misunderstand this practice of the Bantayanons and often call it a festival for most of people here cook Lechon. 
Sta. Fe, Bantayan Island

Let's cut to the chase and proceed to what everybody visits the Bantayan Island for: BEACHES!! Sta. Fe's beach stretches all the way from the pier to Ogtong's Cave, one of the many resorts found there. Although there are many resorts, the beach is still considered public for you can easily cross boundaries. Honestly, their waters are the cleanest and you can definitely wear no slippers because it's not rocky. We spent no money for an entrance fee or rent for a cottage. The people residing near the beach were very friendly enough and let us borrow benches and tables. They were even the ones who accommodated my friends who surprisingly decided to camp. The bantayanons live with their names indeed.
Since we were in Bantayan Island for four days already, the group decided to end the trip with an island hopping to VIRGIN ISLAND! To reach there, we rented out a pump boat and took us about 25 minutes. I was stupefied when I got a glimpse of the white, pure sand of the island and the signage saying "Welcome to the Virgin Island!" A caretaker comes over to every boat that approaches the island and welcomes the tourists. It was a bad timing for us I guess because we were asked to pay for an entrance fee. Maybe it was because it was on a special occasion. I personally think that they were overpricing: 500 for the first 2 persons, 100 for the others. I mean what? Some of us were not even first timers and they said that they were able to enter the premises for free. I mean, if they were going to ask for an entrance fee, does it really have to be that expensive? I don't know what black magic they casted on the caretakers but we were able to enjoy for an hour. We weren't able to use their available facilities because we weren't allowed for some reason but still, there were a lot of tourists.
It is my first time in Bantayan Island and I had so much fun. Although there were times I got irritated to my siblings, we are still a family and I am very thankful for them. Also, in behalf of our family, I would like to thank the co-workers and friends of my mom who accommodated us without asking anything in return. It was a sort of family bonding for us and a retreat from our lives in the city. We've had a lot of travels before but this trip strengthened our bond as a family. Let's not forget the Creator who gave us all the beauties in the world. All the bountiful waters and everything else. So to sum up my unforgettable trip to Bantayan Island, here's a little compilation of my shots.

------------------------









Comments

Popular Posts