Suroy- suroy: Daan Bantayan, Cebu (Dec. 25, 2014 | Christmas Give-A-Hug Day)

I blogged about the preparation phase for this year's Christmas Give-A-Hug Day so, I will now blog about what happened on the day of the event.
   I'll start with the trip; it was one heck of a ride! It's amazing how we were able to squeeze ourselves into Kuya Zander's Toyota Innova. There were 9 of us adults and 4 kids! Plus, we had baggage! We weren't able to rent a bigger van because most of them are fully booked. It's ok though, we just snuggled ourselves with each other. Haha! We were comfortable.

    left for barangay Tapilon at 7am, it was Christmas morning so we greeted each other with a warm "Merry Christmas!" I got my early hug from my little bear friends. I've been to Daan Bantayan before for Architect Shigeru Ban's Bamboo Workshop so I am already familiar with the route except the barangays. I'm not acquainted with what barangay comes after another nor before but, I'm pretty sure I knew where to turn left or right for the poblacion (usually refers to the municipality's centre barangay). We've had quite a few stops for directions which really helped us a lot. I then found out that the location of  Tapilon was only 2 barangays away from where we had our Shigeru Ban workshop. I wonder how's our paper tube houses. 
   After one last left turn, we drifted away from the main road and abandoned the concrete pathway behind to catch sight of a beautiful scenery hidden behind the tall grasses. It was an amazing feeling but also heart-breaking to see people still living under donated tents amidst the cold and wet weather. 
   Then, we got a glimpse of the school and the kids with their parents excited as well. The kids were all little and fragile as if they don't even have their own personal problems. All I thought about was, "I'm going to touch lives today." 
We had fun and games with prices too! We jumped, shouted, danced, laughed our hearts out and enjoyed the moment. It was precious and valuable like a pirate's treasure. 
 

We had utmost 75 kids and I wasn't able to ask for each of their names but I might be able to remember and identify some of them.
 The kid in red is Kim. He's a muslim, but that didn't stop him from having fun. Although he can't understand some visayan words so we guided him through the games. Here, the three kids behind him rushed towards him to be able to win a price.
 The smaller girl is Rihanna. I'm not sure though if that's how to spell her name correctly. She's the strongest girl I've even seen. She lifted her bigger partner without hesitation. She got a special reward for being the toughest during the game.
   This kid is quite the dancer. I can't remember his name but he's the one who touched my heart the most. He called me migo for the rest of the day after I danced with him. He is so talented, he too was given a special award. He repeatedly said "Thank you migo" every after he gives me a thumbs up. It saddens me to forget his name.
   These are the things money cannot buy and I'm very happy I was able to share a little of my time to these kids. I am very fortunate to have participated this wonderful experience that will surely leave a mark on their hearts.



Thank you Ate Rosalie and Kuya Zander for organising such an event where we can truly experience what Christmas really is. Thank you Kuya Warren and Ate Brenda for the pictures. Ian, Ate Merbeth, Joy2 for the helping hands, Ate Janette and Ate En who in the last minute wasn't able to come because of their personal dilemma. Thank you to my bear friends. Also, thank you to the clown, who entertained the kids, and the Daan Bantayan group who helped with the food and the gathering of the kids. Most of all, THANK YOU to our friends who shared their hugs without hesitation. Last but not the least, thank you Bam, my love for the experience. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have met #teamgoodinentions. 

_________________________________________________
All the pictures posted above are not mine. Photo courtesy of Warren MaƱago Photography


Comments

Popular Posts